With each Flat Aggie report, I’ll be putting together a list additional resources, websites, recipes, books, and activities. Use this with Flat Aggie’s report from Uptown Farms or Clay Hill Ranch to bring these Agmazing Adventures to life!
Classroom Activities & Resources
- From Oregon Ag in the Classroom: Sheep Byproducts
- From Nevada Ag in the Classroom: All About Sheep
- From Oklahoma Ag in the Classroom: Sheep Vocabulary
- Video of sheep shearing from Bee Bright On the Farm: Amazing Animals (Justin Fletcher):
- Farm Animals: Sheep by Rachel Bell
- Hooray for Sheep Farming by Bobbie Kalman
- Your Sheep: A Kid’s Guide to Raising and Showing Paperback by Darrell L. Salsbury and Paula Simmons
- Heart of a Shepherd by Roseanne Parry (ISBN-13: 978-0375848032)
Heart of a Shepherd lesson guide from Illinois Ag in the Classroom
- American Sheep Industry Association
- Chinese New Year: The Year of the Sheep
- Sheep 101 (sheep breeds)
Clothespin Sheep Activity (full lesson – The Story Behind Team USA’s Uniforms)
- One pattern (see pattern below)
- Two regular size clothespins
- Cotton balls
- Black marker or crayon
- Cut out sheep’s body and ears (the oval).
- Fold ears (the oval) in half. Open and apply glue to the inside.
- Fold ears over the sheep’s head and press to adhere ears to head.
- Pin on clothespins as the sheep’s legs.
- Cover one side of the body – up to the ears – in glue and press on cotton balls. It may be easier to pull the cotton ball gently apart in order to cover more space.
- Turn sheep over and repeat #5.
- Finally, use the black marker or crayon to make an eye on the sheep’s head.